Wednesday 21 March 2018

on the ageing process & autumn equinox

I had taken a break from facebook. I wasn't sure if it was going to be permanent or just an extended break, but after pondering, I have decided to keep the account open so that I can share my blog, but take a week off around dark moon times and also at the Sabbats. I felt as if I had reached a point with the social media platform, where I was constantly questioning my reasons for sharing my life in abundance. taking the break has been a good thing for me. I continue to question and ponder life (I always will, it is part of my make-up) but I am also finding that my ability to write is returning, as is my desire to meditate daily. something I had let slip. facebook seems to suck the life out of me, it drains my thoughts and energies. Not many get that, but I know it does happen to me.

I have been writing in my journal and the following are excerpts from those ponderings:

March 6
a drippy, rainy day - wonderful for the garden & my new compost heaps.
From my journal ::
“The year I turned 60 has already entered its third month and it’s not going as I envisaged. It’s becoming more of a year of acceptance. Accepting the ageing process, the slowing down of my body and at times I struggle. But it’s also a good thing, this slowing down. It brings time to sit under a knee rug and ponder, to do my chores, mindfully instead of the need to rush to get it done, cups of tea while chatting about our days. Such a rich time in my life.
I have the opportunity to really commit to my spiritual practice. The teas, the Moon and meditation. Along with my seasonal rituals. The herb growing and learning more about each plant Ally.
But I need to slow down more, especially in my home & garden. And I shall. A promise to myself. Instead of trying to get all my gardens dug at once, I plan to approach it more mindfully. Not try to grow everything this year, but to put things into place, soil, compost, mulch and buy what I can’t grow for the time being.
And as I snuggle early morning, under my old vintage quilt, in this rundown ramshackle cottage that I now call home, listening to the rain drip onto our tin roof, I feel no need to rush. Surrounded by holes in the walls that need patching, looking out of aluminium windows that all need to be replaced, the list goes on.  so much work needs to be done, but there is no rush to do it. No rush at all. Just slow and steady, enjoying the process.
this brings me to thoughts of autumn. I can almost feel myself going within, physically and spiritually. Soulfully. With the seasons. Thoughts of soup simmering on the hob, gathering kindling, cardigans and candles throughout my home, burning even more brightly during autumn time. I do believe the glow of candlelight is such a spiritual thing as the wheel begins to turn toward autumn. The candles take on a certain kind of magic."
March 7
I went to sleep to the sound of wind and rain lashing against the walls of Afallon. It was almost reminiscent of a little cottage that we stayed at in Tintagel, Cornwall. The one where I saw the spirit of an old man, sitting by the fire, wearing a cardigan and smoking a pipe.
I ordered my garlic bulbs today, to plant in April. The garden where the garlic will grow has been prepared for a number of weeks now and will sit until it is time to plant the bulbs. I had planned on saving garlic bulbs from my own harvest, but last year wasn't a good year so I thought I would purchase new. I always buy from Diggers Club because I trust their ethics in growing and selling plants. 
I am making a spirit stick for our new home, to be hung over the hearth. Using apple wood and gathered bits and gifts from our yard. It will be a lovely thing to create with the coming of autumn equinox. Coming up to last quarter moon on Friday and I begin to ponder my herbal Moon brew.
I am blessed.
"in folklore, Equinoxes are mystical moments whose magical power still touches the earth today"
Autumn Equinox approaches:
honestly it hasn't felt like the equinox was approaching with the heat of high summer. I felt almost disconnected. And I hate that.
March 21
and so Autumn Equinox dawns.. after a night of rain and lashing wind, I woke to a glorious drizzly day, such perfect autumnal weather.
I did what I could to honour this turning of the wheel. made some apple cider vinegar from the last of my apples, I had planned on gather some herbs & flowers and weave a charm for harmony and balance but the rain has delayed that.. I shall do it soon though.. my carnelian fire agate pendant is sitting outside being cleansed for the coming weeks as I journey towards Hallows. I am planning on having a pendant for each Sabbat to wear until the next one, linking me with the seasonal wheel in yet another way. A small piece of fabric is sitting outside as well, in readiness to embroider for my Soul journey cloth.   I hope to gather pinecones and kindling on the weekend, something I have done for  many years at Equinox. For dinner, I think a dish of chicken and root vegetables.
 and a simple beeswax candle burns on my altar. that is enough. Simplicity.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! So peaceful and so lovely! I hope you stay as happy there as you sound right now..
    It seems I can only comment as anonymous!It's me Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jenny! I have come to a place of peace and contentment. It’s been a journey!

      Delete